National Trust - Attingham Park and Hall - A Shropshire Historic Gem!

Attingham Park and Hall is an English country house and estate in Shropshire, now owned by the National Trust. Completed in 1785. Built for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick, a former MP.


Where is Attingham Park?

Attingham Park and Hall is situated in the village of Atcham, Shropshire. Near the B4380, Shrewsbury to Wellington Road. Cross Houses near, Shrewsbury SY5 6JP.

 

In brief

An 18th Century country house, built for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick, Lord Berwick, a former MP for Shropshire in 1785. The parkland and gardens now have Grade II* listed status and is owned by the National Trust. Is is near the River Tern. Also close to the A5 and A458. It is south east of the town of Shrewsbury.

Photography by Daniel Sturley

 

 

 

Attingham Park - history

Attingham Park is an English country house and estate in Shropshire. Located near the village of Atcham, on the B4380 Shrewsbury to Wellington road. It is owned by the National Trust.

It is a Grade I listed building.

Attingham Park was built in 1785 for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick. Lord Berwick, a former MP for Shropshire, received his title in 1784 during the premiership of William Pitt the Younger, during which he had been instrumental in the reorganisation of the East India Company.

Lord Berwick already owned a house on the site of Attingham Park called Tern Hall, but with money he received along with his title he commissioned the architect George Steuart to design a new and grander house to be built around the original hall.

The new country house encompassed the old property entirely, and once completed it was given the name Attingham Hall. The Estate comprises roughly 4,000 acres, but during the early 1800s extended to twice that amount at 8,000 acres (3,000 hectares).

The extensive 640 acres (270 hectares) parkland and gardens of Attingham have a Grade II* Listed status.

Over 470,000 people visited the house in 2017/18, placing it as the fourth most popular National Trust house. Across the 640 acre parkland there are five Grade II* listed buildings, including the stable block, the Tern Lodge toll house which can be seen on the B4380, and two bridges that span the River Tern.

There are also twelve Grade II listed structures including the retaining walls of the estate, the bee house, the ice house, the walled garden, the ha-ha, which can be seen in the front of the mansion, and the Home Farm.

Attingham ParkAttingham Park from the Wikimedia Commons. Photography by 'Wehha'

 

Project dates

13 Jul 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Landscape architecture, Green open spaces
Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com